Driver Authorisation: Application
Download a form here and send it to Waterway Recovery Group, Unit 16B Chiltern Court, Asheridge Road, Chesham, HP5 2PX. Forms are also available at Canal Camps and at training weekends.
Before you send in your application please read the following:
- If applying for authorisation for any categories in Group 1 to 4, 32 or 99, then WRG Head Office must have a copy of your driving licence on file and you must be over 25 years old.
How to provide a copy of your driving licence
There is now a quick and easy way to do this online, instead of having to print off a photocopy of your driving licence and get someone to authenticate it.
Visit https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence to start the process. Then email the WRG team the code and the last 8 digits of your licence so they can check if your licence is clean. To generate a code you will need your driving licence number, national insurance number and postcode.
For road going vehicles (Groups 1 to 4, 32 and 99) drivers must be over 25 and have held a full driving licence for not less than two years, having driven regularly for at least one of those years. Driving licences must be clean.
- If applying for plant used on site only (and excluding paths and places where the public customarily has access), only then a self declaration on the application form regarding your licence will suffice.
But Please Note
Lifting equipment: operators must be over 21 with a full driving licence which must be clean.
Other self-powered mobile plant: operators must be over 18 with a full driving licence which must be clean.
If site-based plant is to be taken onto a public highway, or a path or other area where the public customarily has access then the operator must be authorised for at least one category from groups 1 to 4 or 32 or 99. If the the item of plant is taken on a public road, then the plant must be road legal (i.e. registered with DVLA and insured for such use).
- For other supporting documents, certificates, etc, then a photocopy will suffice – do not send originals.
Because the Driver Authorisation Scheme is also used by some other groups for whom IWA arranges insurance, there are two distinct routes your application could take based on who controls the worksite.
- If your main activities are with a WRG group or Canal Camps then you should send your application, with any supporting evidence, directly to the address above.
- If, however, you predominantly work with another organisation that uses the WRG Driver Authorisation Scheme, we ask one further step: a local co-ordinator will be charged with collating your group’s applications and submitting them with a counter-signature. Your local working party organiser should know who this person is. This person will forward your application to the address above.
PLEASE NOTE: All applications will be assessed before cards are issued. If you send your application form directly to Head Office without the counter-signature from your local co-ordinator and your experience is not known to the WRG assessment panel, then your application is likely to be delayed or even refused.
Some of the above requirements can be modified in individual cases by decision of the WRG Board. Drivers of road-going vehicles aged under 25 require specific approval from insurers.
If you are below the age limits given above, or if you have points on your licence and/or medical condition, your application will automatically be referred to the Board on receipt, and the issue of the card may be subject to some delay.
Irrespective of the above, your application must show appropriate experience of operating each category applied for. This may take the form of participation in a recognised training programme such as WRG’s training weekends, a counter-signature from your work party organiser, employment history or recognised certificates (e.g. CITB)
If you have any questions, email [email protected]