Your Planning Resources
IWA works hard to protect the waterways by preserving the built and natural heritage through monitoring of local plans and planning applications, undertaking assessments on the impact of particular developments on waterways use and the environment as well as consulting with key stakeholders at a national level.
In this toolkit we have resources and information about the planning system and how to engage with it to support your project or local waterway.
ADVICE AND SUPPORT
Around the country IWA has Branch Planning Officer volunteers who work through the local branches network examining local Plans and Planning Applications that can relate to their local waterway to ensure any proposed changes do not have a detrimental impact to the waterways and their heritage. If you would like to contact your local branch for support on a planning issues please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
IWA also has a Planning Advisory Panel to assist IWA’s branches, waterway groups and members with any non-routine and strategic planning problems and issues affecting the waterways. The Panel is able to offer professional advice and guidance on a wide range of planning matters including Development Plans, Neighbourhood Plans, Planning Applications and Planning Appeals and also national planning policy, major infrastructure projects and conservation designations – or just provide an opinion on whether planning permission is required.
The Panel is as follows:
- Bob Dewey MRTPI: IWA Honorary Consultant Planner
- Ed Gittins FRTPI: IWA Honorary Consultant Planner
- Barry Juniper MRTPI(retd): Former Planning Officer and Planning Inspector
- Phil Sharpe BSc. C.Geol. FGS: Planning Officer : IWA Lichfield Branch
- Dr Ian Sesnan: BA(Hons), MA(Dist), FRSA : IWA Trustee
- Helen Westlake BSc(Econ), MCD, CiLCA : Planning Officer : IWA Northampton Branch
This service can support a wide range of planning matters affecting the waterways and their management and restoration. Should you wish to contact the Panel, please do so in the first instance via email@example.com.
Our Toolkit Includes:
- Presentations & Resources from the IWA / CRT joint Planning Workshops in 2016
- Practical Advice – How to Engage with the Planning System
- Local Plans and the Delivery of Waterway Restoration Projects
- National Planning Policy Framework
- A link to the Plain English Guide to the Planning System
- A link to CRT’s e-Planning toolkit