4 November 2021
Our work never finishes – more clearing of vegetation, litter, and painting. Here’s what we’ve achieved recently:
- Our volunteers recovered 10 shopping trollies from the canal at Bridge 17 and lock 15.
- An abandoned campsite and surrounding garbage were cleared from the island near lock 17.
- Stretches of canal litter picked, resulting in many bags of rubbish.
- Culvert marker posts were given a fresh coat of paint
- The grass was mowed and strimmed on both sides of the canal at locks 17 and locks 14 to 15.
- The by-pass channels were cleared and tidied up at both locks 15 and 17
- A youngmans board, basically a temporary bridge, was borrowed from CRT to access the canal offside so that vegetation could be cut back to keep the canal clear.
- The planters weeded.
- Hedge Laying – 20 metres of hedge were laid. This is quite technical work, requiring training. We had 5 people trained, and an improver, to achieve this wonderful job. It’s good to see some of these traditional hedges along our canal.
So well done to all our volunteers! Many hours put in maintaining our canal for all of us to enjoy. There is always more to do, so they’ll be back for more soon!
Anyone interested in coming along can look at the volunteering page for more info and check the events pages to check the latest details of task party days and specific dates.