We’ve been inspired by HM King Charles III’s life of service, and so we are encouraging everyone to do something as part of The Big Help Out on this Coronation bank holiday Monday 8th May for a national day of volunteering. Let’s inspire the nation to support our inland waterways. Here are some simple things that you could do to take part:
- Visit your local canal or river navigation and take some photos of anything that isn’t as it should be, or that needs to be improved – e.g. poorly maintained towpath or structures, rubbish in the waterway, etc. Then send your photos to email@example.com – and we will follow up with the relevant authority.
- Send a letter or e-mail to your MP and/or local councillors telling them how much you value the waterways in your area, and why Government should not be cutting its maintenance support to the two main navigation authorities, Canal & River Trust and the Environment Agency (because that’s exactly what Defra and the Treasury plan to do).
- Tell your friends about your recent visits to the waterways on social media and why you support the waterways.
- Donate to support our campaign.
- Spend a few minutes collecting litter along your local canal or riverbank and share pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org to show what you’ve done. Every little helps!
Then, if you would like to get involved longer term, please go to waterways.org.uk/support/ways-to-get-involved.
We have roles all round the country from litter picking to rebuilding and restoration work; from media and web roles to secretary and chairs; social activities to helping at events.