From Foss Crooks Woods to York
The River Foss was historically navigable for nearly 12 miles up to Strensall and had six locks.
The Foss Navigation opened in 1796 and was extended in 1804. It was sold to York Corporation in 1852, and all but the last mile and Castle Mills Lock closed in 1859. Rowntrees bought the wharf and warehouse that had originally been part of Leethams Mill at the junction with the Wormalds Cut which was in use until the 1980s, and barges were bringing 200 tonnes of news print per week into York from Goole until 1997.