The Wendover Arm was originally designed to carry water from springs near Wendover to the principal line of the Grand Junction Canal at Bulbourne in Hertfordshire. The cost to make the waterway navigable was negligible and so in 1799 boats began to use the stretch to carry coal, timber, straw and manure.
The restored length of the Wendover Arm is gradually being extended with regular work parties undertaking substantial works along a former dried-out and leak-prone section of the Arm, towards Aston Clinton and the A41 bypass where navigable headroom has been provided under the new road. The canal is in water from here all the way through the original terminus wharf at Wendover.
Britain's waterways are vital; together we can campaign for them now and for the future.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.