Crinan to Ardrishaig
The Crinan Canal provides a connection between the Firth of Clyde and the Western Isles – avoiding a long journey round the Kintyre Peninsular.
Government policy to open up the Highlands after the 1745 rebellion resulted in surveys for a canal across the Kintyre peninsula. Work proceeded slowly due to a shortage of labour. Although it was not finished, the canal was opened in 1801. Work continued and it was declared satisfactory eight years later.